Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Down a Kid

This week Nathan is attending Summer Camp for Boy Scouts for the first time.  He has been to camps before but I think Boy Scout Camp is going to be a new experience for him.  There isn't cell phone service there so I suppose if he gets homesick he is just going to have to deal.  Apparently a phone of any kind is not easily accessible just a satellite phone or something like that.  I was a bit of a "mom" about him going away.  I was making sure he understood what each dollar we sent with him was for and telling him to make sure he showers and brushes his teeth and talks to the other boys and has fun and works on merit badges and here are your clothes for each day and blah blah blah.  He was probably so ready for me to just drop him off and let him be.  So he is off at camp and hopefully earning his first merit badges and maybe making a rank or two... next court of honor should be exciting.

It has been funny to me to see what a difference a kid makes.  Our house is so quiet (and Aliyah is the loud one).  I am not spending the majority of my day breaking up fights, I am not feeling stressed throughout the whole day and when Aliyah goes to her "Breakaway Games" camp in the evenings this week.  Well let me tell you, I just about get bored.  Mike and I were sitting here tonight thinking,
 "wow--so what would we be like without kids?" 
 Not that we would wish our kids away but it is very rare that we get time away from the hustle and bustle of kids to just be... I am sure this is something that we should work on.  Even when we go on business trips or home to Missouri we aren't actually getting away because there is always another agenda... oh how we need a cruise again, Wait.  I have digressed.

It blows me away the difference that one person makes.  I guess we can sit back and really look at that in so many different ways.  One person changes the dynamics of a group.  One person can make life amazing or rotten for another person.  One person can be a stresser or an encourager.  One person can make life loud or quiet.  What are you?  I love my kids and I love my husband, but I won't lie, the hours of 5:30 to 8:30PM this week are very nice.  It's quiet, it's calm.  There is not yelling, no fighting.   I think God knew we needed some hours of peace this week.  I mean tonight I got to take a bubble bath, fold laundry and make dinner without being interrupted a gazillion times.  Tomorrow Mike and I are going to go on a walk and get to have adult conversation.  So I guess this week it's Mike and I going into the Carr Shop.  One kid down and one half gone, it's time for us to get tuned up and enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment